Friday, May 20, 2011

Bathroom Makeover

So, the long awaited blog post of my bathroom makeover is here! -- OK, so maybe you really haven't been waiting on it, but here it is any way...

When I painted my bedroom I decided to paint my bathroom a much much much lighter shade of the dark purple that is on the ceiling in my bedroom... If you missed that post, you can check it out here.


After living with this light purple bathroom for a couple of weeks, I had had enough. It was the perfect color for a 5 year old, princess, purple bedroom. I could NOT stand it. I had thought about using other colors, but just couldn't find the right one... But something had to change, and change in a big way.

After doing the "insane" wall I had a bit more confidence in my painting skills, and a little inspiration from a Kleenex box mom sent me a picture of, I thought I might give painted wall paper another try.

This time... BIG FLOWERS...


(On a side note -- I will say that I typically am not one for liking faux finishes, or stenciled anything...but for some reason this is different and I've been so pleased with the way things turned out.)

I did this much the same way I did the "insane" wall, however this time I made my own pattern.

First, I found a picture of a flower graphic that I really liked, and used the bro's projector to project the image onto some poster board. Then I traced, and cut out the pattern.

Second, I traced the flower on to the wall, making sure to overlap the petals and shift the pattern so the flowers were not all going the same direction.

Third, I determined which colors each of the flowers were going to be, before I started painting (I would not have looked right if two flowers of the same color were overlapping). Then I started to paint. It was just like a coloring book... Stay with in the lines.


I did all the same color at once, then moved on to the next color. The purple needs 3 coats (between you and me, I still have one more coat to do), the dark gray needed two coats, and the light gray should just be fine with one!


Now, these colors may look a little familiar...And you would be right if you said the light gray looks like the gray that is in the living room and bedroom...same with the dark gray. I say when you find a gray that you like and works in you house, stick with it! (However, if I tell my mom that I am going to paint yet another room gray, she might think I've officially gone crazy, he he he) Andy yes, that purple is the very same dark purple that is on the ceiling in my bedroom. Two reasons for this: 1 - I didn't want to go out and buy more paint, I had plenty left over from doing my bedroom, so why not use it AND 2 - I really wanted it to be cohesive with the bedroom colors.

However, I will give you a bit of warning about these colors...There is no natural light in this bathroom, and with the walls being a light purple base, the grays look a bit green. I decided after finishing that it wasn't bad enough for me to go back an repaint.


I am not going to lie I was a bit worried that the insane wall pattern and the bathroom wall pattern would fight each other, but I was please when I stepped back and saw how well the complemented each other!

So there you have it!

E

2 comments:

JessicaVPerez said...

This looks amazing! Great job! Next Design Star - here you come!

Katie R said...

I've been waiting!! :) Love it! Great job!