Monday, February 28, 2011

UPDATE: Bedroom Makeover

So, I did it! I took the plunge and painted my room... that really means this bedroom makeover is a go!

I said that there would be some unexpected things in this makeover, and I think the pictures show some of the unexpected! I selected 3 different colors for my bedroom and bathroom... The first and probably boldest is my ceiling color: Olympic - Royal Indigo (C43-6). The wall colors is a familiar color in this Fay house: Valspar - Polished Silver (is the same light grey that is downstairs...Check it out). The bathroom got a light lavender: Olympic - Lazy Lilac (C43-2) a distent relative of Royal Indigo!

Here is how it turned out I LOVE IT!

This picture was taken in the evening...

(Look organized my closet is :) If only it would stay that way, ha!)

Here is a shot from the bathroom looking into the bedroom...

This picture was taken in the morning light, I just love the way it turned out!

A couple of tips from a non-painting expert:
1. Whoever swears by painting the ceiling has obviously hired people to paint the ceiling and has never done it themselves. Don't get me wrong I love the end result, it was just a pain in the butt to paint. It took me 4 coats...1 primer, and 3 paint.
2. When doing a dark color, get the grey primer, you will be so glad you did!
3. Olympic paint doesn't cover nearly as well as Valspar does, spend the extra 5 bucks and get Valspar, it will save your neck, back, and a lot of frustration. I think I am going to have to go back and repaint the bathroom, the paint didn't cover very well around the trim, or in general. (Note: I went with Olympic because that was the paint color I liked. Next time I will stick to the paint chips that are Valspar or have them match the Olympic paint chip.)
4. Have ibuprofen handy for the next day.
5. It is so much more enjoyable with a glass of wine in hand!

E

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Looks great! We love the use of color on the ceiling. Darker colors like that do require a few coats... and it definitely helps to get a tinted primer. The end result is simply beautiful. Job well done!

Katie R said...

Looks great!! Wish you were closer I could use a craft night... maybe we should plan one :) Love all your hard work.