Monday, March 9, 2009

Valentines Day Bake Off

So, I am playing catch up on blogging... I have started a bunch of different entries... and just have not posted them...
Back in Feb I was in a real baking mood, and I had a Valentines Day bake off. I made 3 heart shaped red velvet cakes!

This one was my test cake, I made it for our office Valentines day potluck. It went over well! It was not as pretty as the other ones, but it was a good test cake!


I made this cake for Mike, he gave it to his wife for VDay. How cute is that! This was the FIRST cake I sold! I am so proud of myself.


AND this is the 2nd cake I sold! Carrie hired me to make a cake for her sweet Katie and Collin... 


I even got a box and put a pretty pink bow on it!


I was even a bigger nerd because I made my own little cake calling card!

American Beauty Cake (Red Velvet)
2 oz red food coloring
3 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 c Crisco
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c buttermilk
2 1/4 c cake flower, sifted 3 times
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp soda

Mix together the red food coloring and coca and set aside. 

Cream together the Crisco, sugar, making sure the sugar crystals are all dissolved, and add the two eggs. Mix in the food coloring paste, the buttermilk, cake flour, salt, and vanilla. Mix well. Fold in quickly by hand, the vinegar mixed together with the soda, while it is still foamy. Pour into 3 - 8" (I divided it into two heart shaped pans) cake pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
 
Remove from pans, cool completely. Frost with Whipped Vanilla Icing.

Whipped Vanilla Icing
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 c milk
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c butter
1/4 c Crisco
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

In a small saucepan, combine the flour and Milk, cook until thick. Set aside, cool to room temperature. In mixing bowl cream together the sugar, buttermilk and Crisco. Mix until sugar crystals are dissolved. Add the vanilla, salt, and the cooled flour mixture. Beat on high until fluffy.

*** I tripled this in order to frost a whole cake, you may even want to quadruple it!


I LOVE to bake! The best part is seeing the joy on peoples faces when they get an unexpected sweet treat!

No comments: