Monday, February 2, 2009

Savory Cheesecake

A week or so ago I had our Alumni Tri Delta officer meeting at my apartment. I was told all I had to supply was water. Ha! If you are coming over to my house for a meeting you are not going to just get water! I did have water, I also had lemonade. I made some sweet treats, and a savory cheesecake.

When you hear cheesecake don't think that delicious sweet cheesecake. This one had creme cheese, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, caramelized onions, sun dried tomatoes and artichoke and served on crackers.  So it might not look beautiful or all that appetizing but it was delicious!


In this picture it is still in the spring form pan. Once I took it out it was only about an inch tall. I cut it into slices so people could take one slice and grab some crackers.

I have never made a cheesecake before and it was really not as difficult as I thought it might be, all you have to do is follow the recipe.

Savory Sun Dried Tomato and Artichoke Cheesecake
Recipe by: Emily
3 packages Cream Cheese, at room temperature
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Sun Dried Tomato's in Oil, chopped
1 medium Onion, sliced thin
1 14 oz Can Artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped, reserve 2 Tablespoons of the liquid
4 oz Feta Cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
1 tsp dried Basil
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper

1. Caramelize the sliced onion with 1 tsp of sugar over medium low heat for about 30 minutes in a pan. Set aside onions.
2.Mix the bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons melted butter together and press into the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan.
3. Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth with a hand mixer. Add the feta cheese and beat until well mixed.
4. Add the eggs, basil, salt, pepper, garlic, and the reserved 2 tablespoons of artichoke liquid and mix until just incorporated.
5. Fold in the sun dried tomatoes, caramelized onion, Parmesan cheese and artichoke hearts. Pour filling into the prepared 9 inch spring form pan and bake in a 325 degree preheated oven for 35 minutes. Allow cheesecake to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes on a wire rack and then chill for at least 4 hours before serving. To serve slice cheesecake into wedges and spread on crackers or toasted or crusty bread. Enjoy

No comments: