Sunday, April 5, 2009

Granola

Ok so it has been  too long since I last blogged... sorry I know you have been missing it... ha ha ha... 

I have been on a been on a BIG granola kick lately.  Unfortunatly buying granola is a bit expensive and can be high in fat too. So I thought I would make it!

The first time I made it I added the fruit, but this last time I left it out and I think I like that better. I usually add fresh fruit or dried fruit when I am getting ready to eat it.

Here you go! Try it and let me know if you like it:

4 cups old fashoned oats
1/2 cup milled flax seed
1/2 cup wheat germ
4 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp almond extract
6 Tbs canola oil
2 Tbs water

Adjust  oven rack to middle position, and heat oven to 275 degrees. Coat two 9x13 pan with cooking spray, then set aside.

Mix oats, milled flax seed, wheat germ, brown sugar, salt, and nuts in a bowl.

Bring honey, oil, water and almond extract to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat. Drizzle over oat mixture, and stir to combine. 

Pour mixture onto prepared pan. Working a handful at a time, squeeze cereal to form small clumps. Bake for 30 minutes. Check and contiunte to bake until golden brown, about another 15 minutes. Let cool. 

Granola can be stored in an airtight tin for up to two weeks.


No comments: